Reapers and zombie kids and vampires… oh my.
Heeding a macabre calling listening to “Mother Ghost Nursery Rhymes” in kindergarten, Kevin A. Ranson wrote in grade school and filled countless notebooks with story ideas while touring the Mediterranean in the US Navy.
Author of The Spooky Chronicles, the thriller series The Matriarch Vampires, and critic for MovieCrypt.com as host Grim D. Reaper #grmdrpr. Sith master of Google-Fu, Bing-Jitsu, and buttered toast (you want some toast?)
“Meticulous attention to setting, characters who inspire sympathy and dark attraction, and a unique ability to reinvigorate classic horror tropes.”
Abridged Credits, Works, & Memberships
- Books – The Spooky Chronicles (ongoing series), The Matriarch Vampires (ongoing series)
- Contributor – MovieCrypt.com, Guy.com, DarkMedia.com, RottenTomatoes.com
- Anthologies – 66 Tales of Terror: “The Gates of St. Augustine”, The Horror Society Anthology 2013: “Tendrils Never Lie,” Goin’ Extinct Too: “Eternal Lie”
- RolePlaying – The Fantasy Roleplaying Gamer’s Bible 2nd Edition, “Shards of the Stone CORE” RPG, Kindling Moon “Rulebook & Realmbook”
- Member – Online Film Critics Society, Houston Film Critics Society, Rotten Tomatoes (Tomatometer-Approved Critic)
After creating MovieCrypt.com in the late 1990s, he honed his narrative voice on film critique and became a member of the Online Film Critics Society and the Houston Film Critics Society. He also portrays the site’s host, Grim D. Reaper #grmdrpr, both at fan conventions and the Texas Renaissance Festival. In addition to his role-playing game contributions, Kevin published the first book in The Spooky Chronicles series in 2011 and began The Matriarch Vampires series with WTF Books in 2013.
“I decided early on that the thing in the closet, the critter under the bed, and the grabber beneath the stairs were all hiding in those places because *I* was scarier than all of them combined… and they were right.”
Possessing considerable knowledge in genre film and television, Kevin has become a frequent panel guest for fan conventions. Kevin currently resides in the Houston, Texas area with his wife and fellow horror author Linda S. Cowden, three dogs, two horses, and probably a dozen cats (don’t judge).